What is GMRS?
GMRS stand for “General Mobile Radio Service” (GMRS). GMRS is a licensed radio service that uses channels around 462 MHz and 467 MHz. The most common use of GMRS channels is for short-distance, two-way voice communications using hand-held radios, mobile radios and repeater systems. In 2017, the FCC expanded GMRS to also allow short data messaging applications including text messaging and GPS location information.
Why GMRS is the best for Off-Road?
- GMRS is for individuals and their family.
- One license covers the licensee and their immediate family members.
- You must be 18 years or older to apply for the license, but anyone within your family (regardless of age) can use the radios.
- Equipment must be certified for GMRS use (like the COM-G95)
- You can only transmit on frequencies designated for GMRS (see our frequency list here).
How to obtain a GMRS License?
To obtain a license you don’t have to take an exam, but you will need to fill out the required forms and send your payment.
1. Getting a FRN number
- First, you must obtain an FRN number (FCC Registration Number).
- There is no charge to obtain an FRN. However, there is a fee when you apply for your license.
- To get your FRN, go to the FCC Universal Licensing System .
- Select “Register” on the ULS Home page, complete the online questionnaire.
- You will receive your FRN immediately upon completing the one-page online form. Then you can move to the next step:
2. Login to the FCC
3. Click apply for a new license
Apply for a new license should be located on the left hand side of login page.
4. Choose the "ZA- GMRS" from the drop down
Choose “ZA- General Mobile Radio (GMRS) from the drop down.
5. Answer the questions
Answer the questions with the appropriate answers. Most people are the default “No” for the exemptions
6. Follow the prompts
Follow the remainder of the prompts. It will ask you for your personal information, and payment.
- Your license is valid for 10 years and permits you to transmit on GMRS frequencies.
- Your equipment must be Part 90 and/or Part 95 type-accepted
- GMRS is also for individuals and their friends and family. For non-commercial use only.
- You should become familiar with two-way – radio operation etiquette.
- Memorize your call sign and be prepared to use it if asked by other users.